Tuesday 17 December 2013

Festive Favourites!

Deck The Halls With Boughs Of Holly, Fa-La-La-La-La-La-La-La!


It's 8 Days until Christmas, and the LBLC are feeling festive. So lovely Louise decided a Festive Favourites post was in order. Which makes me happy. I bloody LOVE Christmas! It's so beautiful, colourful and bright, and I take huge amounts of pleasure in watching other people open their gifts. I love the smiles on their faces! 

So without further ado, here are my...


Favourite Christmas Carol

I am not a religious person, but there is something about "O Come All Ye Faithful" which resonates with me. It's hauntingly beautiful, and one day I would love to go to a big carol concert and hear it. 


Favourite Christmas Song

Now this is a tough one! I am a mega fan of Christmas songs. I've had the music channels on pretty much every day since the 1st December! I think I can narrow it down to three. Which is not the objective here at all. I fail heh. Still. 3 you will get!

Darlene Love - All Alone On Christmas


It's totally underrated, and makes me feel so festive! 

Queen - Thank God It's Christmas


I love Queen, and this is a corker. I haven't seen much of it on the music channels this year though :(

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody



This song is very bittersweet for me. I've loved it since I was a little girl. My family are all very into Christmas, and none more so than my Uncle Nick. He was Mr Christmas. It took him days to decorate the house, and it always looked amazing. This was his favourite. We lost him to cancer in 2006, but I think of him every time I hear it. 


Favourite Christmas Film

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It doesn't matter how many times I see it, it leaves me in hysterics! 


Favourite Christmas Tradition

When my brother and I were small, the "fairies" used to come overnight and decorate the house for Christmas. On the tree, there was a Robin. He used to watch us, and on Christmas Eve he would fly off to Father Christmas to tell him if we had been good or not. It was an inspired idea on my parents' part, as it made sure we were good in December! One year, they forgot to take him off. Oh the trauma!! We were inconsolable thinking Father Christmas wouldn't come! Now I decorate the tree, and the Robin still watches to make sure everyone is good. And if they are, he flies away on Christmas Eve ;)


Favourite Christmas Present

This is another toughie! As a little person, it would have to be my pram. It was burgundy and beautiful. I was so proud, strutting up and down the street outside our flat! It's on video somewhere *cringe*. As a more grown up person, it would have to be my bottle of Chanel No.5. I felt truly grown up and sophisticated! 


Favourite Christmas Craft

It is only this year that I have started a craft. I always thought I was hopeless at anything crafty, but this year I have taken up crochet and I'm really enjoying it. I am working on Christmas presents at the moment - almost done though! 


Favourite Christmas Food

I love ALL THE FOOD! Haha! I have to go with the Turkey here. My Dad randomly watched a Delia Smith programme years and years ago, on preparing a turkey. He's done it her way ever since, and it is beautiful. And artery clogging! Nom. 


Favourite Christmas Recipe

Again, Delia's Christmas Turkey. Line a tin with foil. Stuff the bird at both ends, one with sausagemeat and one with sage and onion. Smother it with a slab of butter, and cover it in nice cuts of bacon. Build a foil tent over the top, and put it in the oven on a slow heat overnight on Christmas Eve. When we get up in the morning, the smell is divine! We take the bacon off mid morning and munch on that, then the oven is turned up ready to finish it off. It is so flavourful and tender and yummy!


Favourite Christmas Drink

I can't drink alcohol, so my favourite soft drink is J20 Glitter Berry. I can't get enough of the stuff! It's so pretty as well. I like glitter! A special mention also goes out to Orange Hot Chocolate and Mint Hot Chocolate. Lovely stuff. 


So there you have my festive favourites! I would love to hear yours; if you are taking part in this tag, leave a comment with the URL and I'll be sure to stop by! 



2 comments:

  1. My favourite carol is In the Bleak Midwinter (the Harold Darke version) I love to sing it, and I get a bit teary about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful song. I love it when a beautiful piece of music with (or without) lovely words is able to totally move you. I love music! xxx

    ReplyDelete