Monday 9 September 2013

Autumn Leaves, When The Grass Is Jewelled...

Autumn has officially arrived today.

It's strange, the things you can remember from your childhood, and how you attach them to something. The title of this post is from a song we used to sing at my primary school. As soon as the first leaves fall from the trees, it pops into my head, and it stays there until the last leaf has fallen. 

I must confess, I am sad that Summer is leaving us. I will miss the warmth, the sunshine, the tinkling of the ice cream vans, the sound of ice cubes in drinks, the smell of barbecues, and most of all, the sun shining until late into the evening. 

There are things about Autumn that I do like. The crunch of the leaves is a lovely sound. The oranges and reds as they get ready to drop can be stunning, almost like a blaze. The smell of a barbecue is switched for the smell of bonfire, which I love (but hate the smell of it getting into my hair!). The conkers falling from the trees remind me of a family tradition. On my Auntie Sue's birthday, we used to all go across to the trees opposite her house, standing in the trench between the road and the field, getting as many as we could. Then it was back to the house to get warm, eat pizza and have some cake. Another memory which comes flooding back when Autumn is mentioned. 

I am quite a cold person, so I own lots of lovely warm jumpers and jumper dresses. I love being snuggled up inside, with a hot chocolate, keeping the weather locked firmly outside. Damp does not make my joints happy, so being warm and dry is my priority. My slanket is my best friend in Autumn, and shares that role with my duvet in Winter (I am actually shuddering at the thought of Winter!). I love being cosy, but also being able to do things because my arms are still warm. Whoever invented them is an utter genius.

When the clocks change, a real sense of sadness hits me. I hate that there is so much darkness. That the Sun and Moon switch places so soon. Daylight disappears in what seems like such a small time. I guess I should be grateful that I don't live in a place where they hardly get light at all! I would not be a good eskimo. For me, the darkness feels oppressive, and I am counting down the days until the daylight holds it's own again.  

The main reason I don't like Autumn is it means that Winter Is Coming. However, this year I am going to try to appreciate Autumn's good bits, because they are there. Crackling, burning and blazing away. A post on Winter will follow - but only when it arrives.

Talk to me about Autumn - like, love, dislike or loathe? I fall into a space between like and dislike. I can't honestly decide for definite.






No comments:

Post a Comment