Thursday 18 July 2013

Reason For Absence!

Hello Everyone!

I have not been blogging much recently. So this is just an update as to why really!

Just after Christmas, I decided that I would like to take up crochet as a hobby. Some of the "old fashioned" hobbies are really breaking back into the mainstream at the moment - knitting, crochet, baking, sewing, crafting in general - and I saw an advert for a new magazine being launched. I'm at a stage with my EDS where my hands and fingers are misbehaving more and more, and I wanted to find a hobby which would give me something to do, but at the same time, help me take control back over my hands! 

A family friend is a very proficient knitter and crocheter, and when I mentioned it to her, she furnished me with a wonderful book, and a shitload of wool. I can't describe how much of it there was. I also took a trip to Hobbycraft, and came home with some hooks, which were okay, but had a tendency to drag on the wool a bit. On a chance visit to House of Fraser, I picked up two KnitPro Symfonie hooks which were in the sale. I like these, they glide beautifully and they are rainbow coloured! I could only afford two sizes though, which made me a bit sad. I wanted them all! My lovely Dad then bought me a present on a random trip to a garden centre - a full set of metallic hooks, each one in a different colour. I can't describe how much I love these. The glide perfectly, have a thumb plate which makes them really easy to grip, and they are really pretty (I like pretty things!). 

So away I started, learning the stitches and starting little rows, rounds and squares. Once I'd got the knack of the squares, I decided it was time to start my first project. I am making a Granny Square patchwork blanket for my Mum. It was supposed to be ready for her birthday in June (oops), but injuries have hindered my progress a bit. I am now making a big effort to have it ready before she and my Dad go to The Great Dorset Steam Fair at the end of August, so am banning myself from lots of things until I get it done! I now have 19 squares to go until I can start sewing together. I am planning to use the first weekend in August to get it all stitched together. Exciting! Now it is in writing I must get it done. Or you all have permission to kick my online arse haha! 

So TTFN - I have some work to do! Once it is done, I will be back blogging like a demon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment